Wednesday, May 10, 2000

Bloodlines Fort: Wheelrags [miracle gamer]



2 Limestone 307

Today I became the leader of Wheelrags!

As I was going to see the awfully nice new statue garden we just gotted, I heard our Countess havin' a fight with our Captian of the Guard Mr. Pylon in the middle of all the nice. She was sayin' how she could run Wheelrags how she thought it should be run, and he said to her that "a child could run a fortress better than you!"

So our Countess looked around the garden and sawed me, but she got real rough and grabbed me by my little ear and said to Mr. Pylon "then let one!"

And so now I am leader of Wheelrags for a whoooooooooooooole year.


Dad says he's gonna give me hints and stuff, but he says I gotta do it on my own mostways cuz I need to learn responsibility after I let Chumble get killed when Mr. King went crazy.


I think a lot of people don't like us because we are sad. A lot of people are sad because their families keep getting etted by zombies and demons. Dad says we have stuff to make magic armor with down in our fortress, and he says it's most likely not gonna murder no one else, so I got busy on makin' us some awesome magic armor for our champions to wear! There is a few little gems down there too. Once people start comin' back I think makin' gems would be neato too.


Tomorrow I think I'm gonna do some work on our castle, It's gonna be awesome! That's all for now, journal!

***

Journal of Dakost Zustashgoden

2nd of Limestone, 307

By some event beyond my comprehension, my son somehow became the appointed leader of Wheelrags today. My son, barely with a hair on his face! From what I was able to procure from my son's excited chatter, the Countess has some bet going with the Captain of the Guard that my son will drive Wheelrags into the ground. Obviously, such a thing would be terrible for my family for many generations to come, so I intend to carefully help my son make good decisions, guiding him along the path to success.

Today, I mentioned about how there was admantium sitting, raw and unused, in the bowels of Wheelrags. I explained, albiet a bit fancifully, about it's great defensive qualities and how our champions would become practically immortal wearing it. He almost immediately decreed that our strongest fighters be outfitted with admantium armor. My first influence has taken hold, much to my relief.

I dropped a little hint about how our forming castle needs work, and he pondered it intently before running off. I pray to the gods that the favor us, at least until my son's leadership passes.

~Dakost Zustashgoden

-----

7 Limestone 307

I remember hearin' from someplace besides my dad that admantium runs up-'n-down as much as it does side-to-side, so I asked our miners to poke around in the dirt above some of our safe stuff. I'd-a done it myself but Mama says I can't get dirty cuz it'll turn me into a little zombie piggie. I don't like zombies too much.


He didn't dig for long before running away. I think he wanted somethin the Countess had changed the price of goods for.


Someone said somethin' about not making Ballista stuff on account of he didn't have any wood, so I chopped some of the bushes and cactuses on the hill above our place. I don't think it will make much wood, though...


I wanna get out as much of that good stuff as possible, but there's all kinda steams and holes and water and stuff down there. I wanna start gettin' all the water out, and Dad says it's ok to have big ideas, but since steam is still comin' out, that means that we still got some stuff to deal with later. For now I'm workin' on our awesome castle's second floor!


That's all for now, journal!

***

Journal of Dakost Zustashgoden

8th of Limestone, 307

I discovered today a staggering construction designation placed by my son. He seems to be as enamored with the expansion of this fortification as he is with the removal of all the admantine buried deep within our mountain home. Of course, this is currently very unwise, as there are quite obviously still demons of flame hidden within those firey pits. True, he had a very clever plan for disconnecting the firey hole with the river, but at our present state we can't afford any more deaths on our fortress.

I managed to convince him to stay the course, outfitting our warriors with admant armor. The process is excruciatingly slow, as we don't have any skilled dwarfs to extract the strands. Still, slow is better than nothing.

~Dakost Zustashgoden

-----

10 Limestone 307

Today I notice that our castle isn't like the castles in my favorite book, Gugnar the Mighty! Our castle has lots of entrances to stuff scattered about, but also a lotta slopes and hills that bad guys can come up on and hurt us from. So I decide that I'm gonna cut away some of the hill to make them into walls!


Pretty smart, huh? Later I think Im gonna make our entrance like a bridge, just like in Gugnar, and so when bad guys try to come across we pull it away, BAM! Into a hole!

17 Limestone 307

We got visitors!


As they are comin' in I notice there's an awful lotta food sittin' around in the depot. I wonder why no one has moved it yet?


They pull in five whooooooooooole carts full of stuff for us to trade, but the Countess says we can't trade them any picks or sterling silver. I think I know why people don't like her too much...

14 Sandstone 307

We finally got all the items into the depot to trade today. People around here are awful slow. And they don't pay much attention. The traders almost left before we got to trade!

I got lots and lots and lots of meat and booze, cuz' Dad likes booze. I got all the wood n' barrels they had too. I got our soldiers armor and shields made of steel too, since admantium takes so long to make.


Sir Monty Pylon really likes his new steel sword. Can you believe he didn't even have a weapon? Ha!

Bein' a ruler is hard work, but I think I'm doin a good job! That's all for now, journal!

***

Journal of Dakost Zustashgoden

12th of Limestone, 307

My eldest son continues to make suprisingly well judged additions to the castle. He has informed me excitedly of his plans to build a drawbridge in the future, once he finishes encompassing the courtyard and actually walling off the northern part of our home. I must say, for a child his age, he seems to understand castles. I wonder where he got his inspiration from?

25th of Limestone, 307

I fear that the traders may leave before all the items my eldest son designated for trade get taken to the depot. I'm doing my part to care for my son. It's the only way I'll ever get any respite in this miserable world. Once I know that this place is safe for him, I think I'll finally be able to rest easy.

16th of Sandstone, 307

The traders, for some reason, refused to leave the depot, so I gave my son the hint to destroy it. They left soon afterwards.

~ Dakost Zustashgoden

-----

22 moonstone 307

FINALLY! Today is the big day! Our dungeon master is forging us a set of admantium plate mail!


23 moonstone 307

Somethin' bad happened today. I feel bad 'cuz I think I coulda stopped it, but I didn't know what to do on account of Dad is hard to find sometimes....


That part wasn't the bad part. Our awesome champion cut through them like they was nothing all by himself. Does he really even need admantium?


But then, somethin' happened... I thought our Crossbow guys were up on the wall, but they were down by the goblins for some reason. And they made one of the animals flyin' around outside reeeeeal mad...



One of 'em ran up on the house there and shot at the mean 'ol thing from up there, but the other guy stayed on the ground and ran out of arrows... and he tried to hit him with his crossbow, but he got eaten...


We kilt it after that, though. He hurt it real bad before he died.


We're gonna miss you, Mr. Eshtreen Olinnitig.

No more for today...

***

Journal of Dakost Zustashgoden

27th of Moonstone, 307

I wanted to see the joy on my son's face when he found out that the first set of admantium plate mail was complete, but he's been a total mess lately. He manages to give his ideas and orders through his sniffles, which most of the Dwarves seem to accept happily, just to rub it in the Countess's face. The poor boy has been a total mess since our Marksdwarf was slain in the line of duty. He needs to learn about these things, though. It's a harsh truth about the place we live in, one our family is all-too familiar with. Hopefully there won't be any more deaths here in Wheelrags for a while.

~Dakost Zustashgoden


-----

19 opal 307

Our thresher, who is in jail right now, keeps on yelling about some horrible beast moaning at him in the dark. We went in there and looked around to see if there was anything there, but besides him, and old bed, and some chains, there's nothin' else. I think he just wants to get out of jail!



23 Opal 307

A giant eagle skeleton tried to eat our people today, but we caughted it.


I notice that we don't have any cages. I asked for some more to be made.

9 Obsidian 307

One of our champions decided to sleep in the jail to see if it was really haunted. He says the moaning horrors kept him up all night long. Maybe the jail is a zombie now, too!


14 Obsidian 307

Our mason was going to go and take down a screw pump, but the heat was going crazy, and he was like "there is no way." ((I had to revert to an earlier save I had made a few moments before, the mason died from the heat :\))


20 Obsidian 307

Our northern channel was finished today!


The rest of the castle is going good, too.


I'm so happy to see the castle! I'm workin' on the last pieces our champion needs to wear admantium, too! I can't wait!

That's all for today, journal!

***

Journal of Dakost Zustashgoden

20th of Opal, 307

There is a poor, poor dwarf trapped in the prison, a bed shoved over his withered body. From what I can gather, he was imprisoned for a period for violating a production order, and after serving his time, Sir Monty Pylon simply forgot to come tell him he is free to go.

He is not shackled, he is not detained. He just sits in the prison and rots.

14th of Obsidian, 307

I'm attempting to figure out a way to tell my son how to get the magma reservoir pumping. It's far too hot in there for any normal dwarf to survive, so the only solution would be to attach more windmills to the gear assembly. He seems only half interested in the magma, though. His attention is mostly focused on our castle. He is damned and determined to get it finished before his rule runs out. If that happens, then so be it. It would soothe my soul to see his dream come true.

~Dakost Zustashgoden

-----

9 Granite 308

Spring is here!

The jail zombie must've been a snow demon. He's gone now.


19 Granite 308

I found out a bunch of our fighters are all wearing once piece of the admantium armor that's been made, but no one wants to wear the helmet or plate mail. I wonder why?

15th Slate 308

Elves came today.



I gave them a bunch of the armor we couldn't use for food and seeds and a bow and arrows (for a trap or trading) and some awesome tigers and lions. All they had was frilly stupid clothing and rope. I don't like elves too much...

11 Felsite 308





***

Journal of Dakost Zustashgoden

11th of Felsite, 308

A glorious day! Finally, more migrants to fill this lonely, barren place with more able-bodied workers! I have given my son a flurry of instruction to do in order to make use of this new blood. I can practically feel my spirit drifting away with happiness!

~Dakost Zustashgoden


-----

13th Felsite

The last of the immigrants have come in!

We got 20 new people!


OH MAN

RUN
RUN RUN RUN

ALMOST THERE RUN RUN RUN


Uh... 18. 18 new people.

5 Hematite 308

Summer already! It's so busy here with all the new people!

I added four people to the millitary, though one of them was already a marksdwarf when he came here.

I started makin' the stuff to make soap since we have a lot of fat from all the horse babies we had to slaughter. Dad said it was a good idea since we had about thirty of them running around.


I'm also workin' on makin' a lot of admantium greaves and gauntlets, since those ol' fighters don't seem to want to wear anything else.


Can't talk any more, I'm super busy! Later, Journal!

***

Journal of Dakost Zustashgoden

7th of Hematite, 308

I am filled with... many emotions. Pride is the most prominent of these. My child has grown so much in this last year. He still retains his childlike innocence and joy, but he's matured. He's grown accustomed to responsibility, and speaks with the adult dwarves much like they would converse with each other. He's taken much of the responsibility of the fortress on, needing less and less of my assistance. He directs the fortress with surprisingly well-thought out ideas.

I'll watch him a bit more, just to make sure he's ok...

~Dakost Zustashgoden


-----

5 Malchalite 308

I didn't realize how mean Sir Monty Python was with his justice. One of our Champions, who has been in asleep in bed with a broke back for many seasons, is waitin' to serve 101 days in prison.


15 Malchalite 308

Humans came. I traded 'em more of the narrow stuff for a lot of wood and barrels and food and drink. They want this stuff next time.


But then they left us a gift! When it was time for them to go they dumped all this stuff out of the wagons! I think I like humans more than elves.


24 Malchalite 308

Our countess had another baby today, while I was helpin' one of our castlemakers get unstuck from the wall. I wonder where she keeps getting them from?


1 Limestone 308

Well, I guess my time is over. It was a good, fun time! Mr. Pylon got all in the Countess's face today, and she was sooooooooooooo mad. I think I did a good job helpin' our fortress get good and big. Here's an overview of stuff before I go!

The castle is real big, but not done. I got all the walls on this side put up, but there's still a lot of places to the west and stuff that need to be put in, so stuff can't climb up our hills and drop in!


The guard towers are almost finished, too.


I got some fortifications goin' up on this side, but the next ruler is gonna need to finish 'em up.


I decided not to do anything with the magma. I don't think it's a good idea for me to mess with those. I mean, I'm only six.

I got our dungeon master to forge an admantium short sword. I wanna grow up to be a swordsdwarf, so I can take that sword and defend my castle! Dad will be so proud!


I made this to be my room so I could live in my castle, but I'm not allowed to have it, for some reason. Oh well.


Mr. Pylon said that he was gonna ask for somethin' to be made for me as a reward. I wonder what he got made?


Well, I guess that's all. I stopped a lotta goblins and zombies and skeletons, and now we're big and strong! I was gonna get Dad to say somethin' for my journal, but I can't find him nowhere. Huh. I guess he's partying at the gold statue with everyone else. Now that I don't have to rule the fortress no more, I can be a kid again! I just hope the grown ups remember what I did later. It was nice being called Sir for a whole year.

Say goodbye to the Leader of the Great Castle Wheelrags! Whoo!

***

Journal of Dakost Zustashgoden

1st of Limestone, 308

I find it a bit... well, funny. The horrible curse of this land that ended up costing me everything is the only thing that allowed me to oversee my son, to help him, beyond the realm that most mortals tread.

I've done all I can, and I think it was enough. My son, my last, most precious possession... he is an adult at heart now. I watched him grow through the last year, and it has soothed my wretched soul. I think now that I have helped him turn this place into something safe, something secure... I can finally rest.... I can feel my soul finally being drawn away now... I feel I won't be able to remain in this form long enough to tell my son.... farewell...

But he is strong. He will persevere...

I can go on with the others now.... to my wife... my other child...

I can finally be...

at...

peace...


No comments:

Post a Comment